Thursday, November 6, 2014

Women in computer jobs

In preparation for class, we read a series of articles about women in computer and technical jobs.  It seems that there are too many factors involved to pin the blame on any one influence.  In contemplating this phenomenon, I have turned to my own experience both at BYU and with people I have known throughout my life.  Indeed, there are fewer women in the computer science program here.  On the other hand, most of the women I have known haven't been interested in computer programming.  I believe that this trend is common in society today.  I believe that people should follow their interests, and if they're not interested in programming, we shouldn't force them to be.  On the other hand, maybe our society subliminally tells women that these types of jobs aren't right for them.  I think that more exposure of boys and girls to computer science early on in school will help change some of the stereotypes society places upon the subject.  Knowing a lot about computers is just as nerdy as knowing a lot about any other subject, no more or less!

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that making computer science more available to both boys and girls when they are young will help to eliminate any subliminal messages about computer science.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is interesting. Code.org thinks we should have coding classes taught at the elementary level, which I think would be good. However, it's like you say; if the interest just isn't there, what's the point of spearheading programming classes. However, if the interest is there, more power to them, women included.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that kids should be exposed to coding in elementary school. I think it helps separate the stereotypes from the actual concepts. How do kids know they're not interested in computer science if they don't learn about it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good post and I completely agree. We shouldn't force uninterested females into a field they aren't interested in just because we want to have more women in the program. However, exposing children earlier on to computer programming would definitely help women who have a knack and interest join the field.

    ReplyDelete